September 16, 2007

9PM Fire Update

I just got this photo from Holcomb Valley showing the fire burning to the north of the stables. If the wind changes, things could get a little warm over there. I've been listening to the scanner and some of the comments were pretty interesting:

  • 10:50 am Had to pull out of 2N13
  • 11:00 am That piece north of Butler it’s going to be touch and go with those structures for a while.
  • 11:02 am Gel these buildings at Camp Whittle
  • 11:02 am Cannot get out of Big Pine; tried two different routes
  • 11:02 am Once we get the gel on we’re pulling out to Fawnskin
  • 11:02 am The fire jumped our triggers about 10 minutes ago and we called mandatory evac at Fawnskin
  • 11:04 am Structure triage; main priority is no one gets hurt
  • 11:05 am Direct marching orders, pretreat and leave; have a good lookout and know where your safety zones are
  • 11:10 am made two attempts to get out of Big Pine Flat through 2N13; we’re looking at a map to try to figure out how to get out of here; it will take us way out of the way
  • 12:15 pm a sudden wind shift could cause involvement in Fawnskin; fire broke Holcomb Valley where it drops; fire is spotting ahead 3/4 mile at times
  • 12:32 pm fire is coming back on that corner; may not be able to do a gel op; if you can safely do it, do it; fire to the ballfield to the left, that and to the south; making sure you are talking and make sure we know where all our resources are; make sure when we pull out we pull out with everybody
  • 12:40 pm Fire has gone through Camp Whittle; making run to east instead of north
  • 12:40 pm fire is running unchecked to the north and west; 40K to fly over camps and order evacuations, mandatory, of the camps; the tankers are focusing on Fawnskin side to save that contingency
  • 1:01 pm pretty active fire on 3N14; getting someone to protect our escape route
  • 2:14 pm Helco is afraid the fire is hooking up over you there in Fawnskin; hooking to the east above you about ½ mile or so; that is the priority. Just pulled the guys off for the moment; afraid it would be smoke in and we’re afraid we couldn’t
  • 2:15 pm Lines down where that Hazmat shed is; do not know if the lines are energized or not; just roll-call them and let them know
  • 4:52 pm Helicopter had to pull out of a drop; "just too smokey in there"
  • 7:15 pm Air Attack wrapping up; We got our butt’s kicked today. Tomorrow should be interesting.
  • 9:16 am Could you please ask the kitchen to stay open until 11:00, or have them prepare meals for about 40 folks and set them aside; these folks haven't had a hot meal in quite awhile now, and I'd appreciate it.
  • 9:52 am We've got an engine crew here that has been on the line for about 24 hours, can we get them released?
  • 10:14 am We're gonna get out of here for awhile; they're bombing the you-know-what out of things here, and we'll come back when things calm down.
  • 11:24 am I'm out here chasing rabbits in the desert.
  • 11:49 am It's all we can do to hold the back of this; if we start sending stuff to the head, we don't want to lose what we've got going on here. If you pull from this we're going to lose what we've got.
  • 11:50 am One strike team type 3 to protect a boy scout camp, at 3N12 and 3N16. We'll see what we can find but I can't guarantee it.
  • 12:07 pm large snag on fire up here; no containment; unsafe for hand crews only; need air support; fire behind us at the west aspect; fire in front of us on the ridge; we need some heavy duty air support in here or this whole canyon is going to go.
  • 12:12 pm Stand by. We need to back out; we're getting a lot of heavy flames in here.
  • 12:28 pm Unfortunately we are losing it up near Fawnskin. We're going to have to pull the ships and move them there. If that's the case we're probably going to lose what we're working on and we'll have to back out of here. Probably going to lose the back door anyway.
  • 1:20 pm I'm going to safely say yes; I don't think we're going to be able to hold this.
  • 2;47 pm dropping way too high for the penetration in that area, you need to drop it down about another 200 feet.
  • 3:15 pm Be advised we may have some severe activity heading our way; make sure you're in your safe areas and you're all accounted for.
  • 3:21 pm I need you to start to Cactus Flats OHV area for a fractured leg.
  • 3:56 pm I got a lot of sidewind out of that, the airplane even went sideways.
  • 4:50 pm the fire is deep seated in pile of manure. We're going to have to do an overhaul on this.
  • 5:16 pm nice prominent ridge by the dam, that may be something to think about, put 9-10 tankers there so it doesn't go into the neighborhood. If it gets beyond there we'll be screwed, because we'll be dealing with retardant & water.
  • 6:09 pm I think we've got this stopped, but it's going to go all the way to the road no matter if we want it to or not.
  • 6:51 pm Heavies have one more drop and they have to go, they are over time. Please pass along my regards and those ground troops really appreciate them; they did an outstanding job out there today. Pass it along to all your partners. Thanks again and be safe.